Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A leaver like me

I'm having a moment of mental exhaustion in the middle of lots of goings on. I'm preparing for a new academic year which I won't be a part of. People want tons of things from me today and what I want is to start my new job (yes, I'm starting a new adventure in Gainesville). There isn't much turnover in jobs here in Gville especially at the University - people get a job and they stay and stay and stay. For a leaver like me I'm feeling a bit out of place in this all too familiar setting.

My co-workers congratulate me and wish me well and say things like "I don't know how you do it." I've been hearing this for as long as I can remember - every time I end one life and move on to the next one. The strange reality is that I don't know how not to do it. I don't know how to stay in one place or be satisfied by one challenge. I'm not good at it - I get antsy. I want to do more - find the next challenge - learn what's unknown to me.

So today I'm in the old life wrapping things up to give them away to someone new.

No comments: