While traveling, James is happiest when in motion. Somehow, I feel as if I just discovered this fact or maybe I'm just remembering it.
He always requires the window seat on any form of transporation - he wants me to see, too - though I historically don't utilize the window in the way that he does (I look for a minute and then read or nap or watch the noisy tv). So I choose to sit on the aisle and look over him or sit in a different row. From his perch, he truly watches and observes and takes note of changes in the land or sea or air. When flying any route, he'll look for landmarks that he might recognize or expect to see and is very excited if the pilot shares our location. He had a dispute with a group of stewardesses over which islands we were passing - they said the Bahamas - he said the Virgin Islands - they checked with the pilot - James was right. He will only turn away if we are immersed in clouds or darkness. After any leg of our journey, he can give a detailed description of everything he noticed along the way - which is everything.
When in a new place, he never wants to enjoy it from the seated position - he is up and on his way out. For this reason, while in Ecuador, we hiked every single day we had the opportunity. In towns, up volcanoes, down to creeks, through fields, along ridges. We walked for hours on end - only stopping for lunch (which was always pleasantly slow) or to catch our breath (sometimes pretty often b/c of the altitude).
I love looking and I love walking and I love exploring, but I also LOVE sitting and daydreaming and relaxing. So, on the days when walking wasn't on my agenda, James would head out on his own in search of adventure and I would plant myself in a comfy spot with a nice view, a breeze and some fresh papaya or pineapple juice - and I couldn't have been happier.
We really do make a great team.
Headshots
1 year ago

No comments:
Post a Comment