Friday, January 23, 2009

umbrella hat man

Picture an in-the-flesh version of fat albert (one of my all-time favorite cartoon characters) wearing one of those red, yellow, blue & green umbrella hats, standing near one of those little folding camp chairs, in downtown New Orleans on Canal Street where the street cars ride back and forth between really tall buildings, equipped with a megaphone in one hand - king james bible in the other, yelling (sometimes into the megaphone, sometimes not) words like 'cometh' and 'believeth' and 'repent' to passers-by.



I see umbrella hat man almost every day when I bike to work and he always makes me smile. I appreciate his effort - he's on a mission - he's devoted - and he understands the importance of sun protection. I haven't been biking because of the weather, but today it is warmer - so I'm back to my routine and I'm reminded of one of the many reasons why I love New Orleans so much.

No comments: