I'm right-handed. However, in high school soccer, I had better aim with my left foot than I did with my right. I also place my mouse on the left side of my keyboard, so that I can point and click with one hand and take notes with the other (this always freaks people out if they sit at my computer - I enjoy that). I have a few other left-handed preferences as well, but am predominantly right-oriented. Since my mom and my sister are lefties, I have been wondering if I have a tendency toward ambidexterity and, as a result, have made my new year's resolution to become ambidextrous. Possibly weird - I realize, but a fun challenge.
So, awkwardly, but with great attention, determination and enjoyment, I have sworn off the right hand for:
-writing journal entries and grocery lists (at work I choose efficiency over adventure and continue to use my right hand)
-cooking (e.g. holding the knife to cut vegetables, stirring anything, grating cheese, etc.)
-brushing my hair and teeth
-dialing a phone
Some things I haven't quite convinced my brain of yet:
-unlocking doors
-stitching of any sort (buttons, etc.)
-turning the pages of a book or newspaper
More updates as I progress (or not...)
(p.s. just to clarify - this is Heather's experiment. On occasion James will eat or brush his teeth with his left hand to show his solidarity, which I appreciate.)
Headshots
1 year ago

2 comments:
I've heard that switching hands can do good things for your creativity. Like, if you have artists' block, I hear switching hands can sometimes help. Something about brain hemispheres get forced to cooperate differently than they're used to...
please o please chop the vegetables with your right hand-
for awhile at least
Post a Comment