An assignment in Mr. McDonald's classes last week:
My friend Brandi is a photographer and teacher in South Africa. Her students have never seen or touched snow. Write a letter to her students describing snow and I will send it for you.
What does it feel like? Taste like? Smell like? Look like? Sound Like?
They then looked at photos on Brandi's website to learn about where the kids lived and to get an understanding of what their lives are like. http://www.photosforafrica.org/ .

Thanks Brandi for your hard work and for providing inspiration to NOLA kids!!!!!!
Here are some of their letters - no grammatical edits made but shortened in places:
Dear students,
Today I am going to tell you about snow. Snow is like ice but a little softer. December 11, 2008 it snow in New Orleans, Louisiana in the United States of America. The snow was so nice and it had a lot of snow on the ground. It was so much snow it was like 3 inches. I wish that you could see the snow, but one day you will. Snow is the best thing in the sky I've ever seen. When it snow the roads get slippery and people might have accidents but theirs nothing really bad about snow because it's verry fun. You can also build a snowman (with drawing). You can build snowangels in the snow (another drawing). I like the snow so much it seems like a part of my life. Well it was nice having to tell you about snow because I had a great time. Please have a nice day or nice night. Ms. Brandi, it was nice speaking to your students. If you ever write back please have my name in it or let the kids know how precious snow is and how wonderful snow is. From, Phil
Dear Children of Africa,
My teacher Mr. McDonald told us that we should write an letter to you guys & girls. I really want to tell you about our snow day in New Orleans, Louisiana. If it ever snows down there roll up a ball of snow and throw it at someone then you will have an snow ball fight. My friend Devin throw one at my leg when it was snowing down here. It feels like it is going to melt your skin. It taste like H2O (water). It smells like nothing. It looks like little white dots falling out of the light blue sky. It doesn't really have an sound but when it hits the ground it melts. Love, Darkayla
P.S. I hope you can come and vist us a Pierre A. Capdau.
Dear students
I am going to describe snow to you. Snow is white, it's very soft. It snowed one when I was in school at Capdau UNO Charter. When you bald the snow up it gets hard and you can have snowball fights. You can make a snowman and you put scarf, 3 buttons, 1 carrot and 1 hat. You would love the snow if you could see it you and your friends will have a lot of fun if you can come down and play in the snow. I wish you can. You can come down here to play with us. We will have a lot of fun we could play football or basketball.
Dear students,
Snow is a joy because it is fun to play in because it doen't snow often in Nola. Snow is soft and cold and it is white like the clouds. Snow only happen in December because it is the coldest part of the year. Sincerely, Justin
Dear Pin Pil,
Snow looks like crunched up ice and it is very white and very cold. It feel kinda nasty and when you tuch it your hands would freeze up and would start stinging. It does not sound like nothing unless you throw it at somebody they l.o.l. Oh and just to let you know l.o.l. means laugh out loud. When you pick it up it sticks together because its like a magnet and kinda connects together and thats how snow is. Right back to me if you can. Ya digg? Sincerely, Halle
Dear students,
I would like to tell yo about snow. Snow is water, but because of how cold it is that turns it hard and it forms snow flakes. It snowed last week, because it was below 30 degrees. It was very cold. We played in the snow and made snowballs and had a snow ball fight. It was fun. I live in New Orleans, Louisiana. Down here we have a lot of holidays. The holiday that is coming up is Christmas. Merry Christmas! I'm sure you heard about Barack Obama our new president. I'm happy about that. Sincerely, Capdau Student
P.S. Holla at me (write back)

1 comment:
Great assignment!
Post a Comment