After returning to our New Orleans neighborhood, I was biking home when I noticed a beautiful lab-type puppy in the street. The dog bounded toward me - happy - dirty and neglected looking. I continued on my way home after chatting with the puppy but couldn't stop thinking about it. Maybe it was lost due to the hurricane. Maybe it needed me. I mulled over a potential plan for the dog's capture and taming, so it could become my pet. (All while James was at UNO taking night classes.) I didn't have any good dog treats, but my mom's dogs like carrots, so I put some carrots in my pocket and headed out. I couldn't figure out the best way to entice the dog, should I drive my car and grab it and put it in the jeep? That seemed dangerous - and the dog was wet and filthy. Should I ride my bike and try to get it to follow me? If I walked would I need a leash? All questions I pondered as I walked down the block near the Walmart where I had seen the dog earlier. Once I arrived to the spot, the dog was no where to be found, no neglected puppy to take home, I wandered home defeated. The next day, on my way to work, it was there again! Still dirty, but not so skinny as I thought it was the day before (maybe it was drying off). I couldn't rescue and tame it and take it home since I was biking to work, so I decided to do so on my way home. That afternoon, it was missing again. The next day was Saturday, and I convinced James to bike by the area on our way to the Tulane football game to see this sad, neglected creature (secretly plotting for him to fall in love with it, so we could tame it and take it home.) I was overjoyed when I saw the puppy gallup toward us, but was surprised to note that it was clean and fluffy and kind of chubby-looking and that it had run out from underneathe someone's house (which was pretty much the same spot I'd seen it everyday). James liked the dog very much and agreed that it was beautiful and wonderful and very nice, but he did not agree that it needed to be rescued and tamed and it definitely did not need to come and live with us. Sigh. I e-mailed Jill to tell her about the dog ( I thought I'd get some sympathy since she is so in love with Pinky) - her response was - 'OMG, it's just rude to rescue a dog that already has owner.' Personally, I think 'rude' is a bit strong. In any case, I've given up my rescue mission for the moment.
Headshots
1 year ago


2 comments:
Fantastic blog post, Heather!! Some might say the best one yet. (One hand and one tiny paw raised to vote "yay.")
Hmmm. I rescued a dog that already had an owner. But we all know that I am pretty rude. Little Bear went to doggie military school while I was up north. She seems to have learned some manners. Of course, now its up to me to keep her that way.
Post a Comment