I almost decided to go back to school last week. Almost.
Needing some intellectual stimulation, I spent time looking up UF courses. I picked one - Sub-saharan Africa, Healthcare and the Arts. Upper level undergraduate course. I looked through the associated textbooks - they sounded inspiring, exciting - just what I needed. I then e-mailed the instructor and shared my interest with her - she happily replied "Yes, there is space! Join us!" I started my registration paperwork and, last Wednesday, I walked into a classroom.
Upon entering, I first aimed for the back, but then thought, "No, I'll sit right up front." I pulled the chair from under the desk and was surprised to find a single thumb tack placed exactly in the center of the seat - ready for its next victim. I was shocked. "Isn't this college? Surely that wasn't intentionally placed in this chair to harm someone...." I removed said thumb tack and settled in.
A few minutes later, class began, the syllabus was distributed and intros started. This student was an undergrad in pre-med, that one in the arts, that one minoring in African studies.... Feeling over-qualified & slightly out of place after my brief intro, I flipped through the syllabus, looking at the projects and assignments, I was surprised to find that I already knew about most of the topics being discussed and I also knew most of the guest professors.
I suddenly realized - I'm past all of this. Not because I don't love learning and I can't benefit from the interactions, but at this point in my life and career, my time is better spent doing rather than listening to others who do.
Perhaps I've just made a new rule for myself as a life-long seeker of knowledge -
no classroom required.
Headshots
1 year ago

No comments:
Post a Comment