Sunday, January 17, 2010

Trust


I trusted James' survival mentality as I followed him up the 100 foot plus fire tower in the rain forest of southern Belize. I trusted the skill of Jacob, Eric, and the others who dismantled the tower in the US and carried it by truck through Mexico and reassembled it in its new home. I trusted the strength of the tower. I trusted the aim of the birds swooshing by. I trusted the calm breeze and the nearby trees.

What I failed to trust was me, the strength in my own knees to carry me without the aid of handrails, my own ability to walk carefully on wet steps, my own will. So I sat three levels down from the top at about 80 feet for an hour before attempting to continue the ascent.

How often does distrust in myself make me hesitate when I know I can do anything I set my mind to?

No comments: