Each year, I become a little less likely to buy and mail holiday presents. Not because I don't like to share or give, but because no one really needs any non-monetary item that can be wrapped in a box and mailed across the country. What can I give to you, all of my loved ones, that you don't already have too many of? Over the years, I've made gifts, bought gifts, given photographs, clothes, toys, $, food, gift certificates, travel memorabilia, household items - I can't remember - I'm sure you can't remember receiving most of it either.
Yet, I, like so many others, continue to try; to look for that perfect gift, that perfect idea, that holiday treasure that will show you I love you the most, that you'll make room for on your mantle or kitchen counter-top, that you'll cherish forever. Sometimes, I hit it just right and succeed with the most special gift - most years, I don't. You can't win them all.
Before the gifts and cards are sent this year, I'd like to tell you, my family, my friends, I love you. You are what gets me through each year - you are the reason I write stories - you are the reason my life matters. If you ever need anything, I will give it to you. Anything I have, everything I can give - is yours should you need it. If it is not enough, I will find a way to get you what you need. You'd do it for me, too - and you have. That's what love is all about.
Until such time that you need something specific from me, I'm scaling back on the holiday hubbub. Expect handmade gifts, cookies, and food. I'll also be more than thrilled to give a donation to the charity of your choice. These are the kinds of gifts that put me in the holiday spirit and make me feel a bit closer to home.
Headshots
1 year ago


No comments:
Post a Comment