Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Monongahela National Forest, WV "Where Rivers Begin"

more journal notes.

We are parked along Forest Road 28/11 on our way to Seneca Rocks at a little spot I like to call "Dead Animal Overlook." Here in West Virginia or at least in this part of the forest,
people have a different purpose for their overlooks. The scenery is breathtaking, some of the most gorgeous mountains we've witnessed yet - if you can look past the various napkins, roof tiles, snack wrappers, and plastic bags littering the area.

I'm no snob and I'm not unaccustomed to seeing trash on the side of the road. What gets me is the squirrel's head tossed just off the pavement a few paces from the passenger door of the truck and the large white and grey speckled wing of what may have been a turkey tucked in the grass a few feet past that. James found other portions of the turkey in a plastic bag nearby, mostly guts and possibly the missing head. He didn't open the bag for a better look and I, safely back in the passenger seat, refuse to get out again.

No comments: