Monday, November 16, 2009

Making books



Sunday morning, while James and his sister went on a bike ride to Payne's Prairie, I volunteered at the Downtown Arts Festival in the Imagination Station. Kids and their families wandered through the area expectantly, looking for their for their favorite booths and projects. I was in charge of book making. The first hour was a little lonely for me, the kids were drawn more quickly to the pipe-cleaner & newspaper hats and watercolor painting - my booth, on first appearance, wasn't half as glamorous. Who ( besides me) would get excited by plain cardboard and white paper? So I called out a variety of invitations, "Would you like to make a book?" Didn't work. "Design your own book here!" Also, no luck. I watched as kid after kid went by, not sure what to do. Finally, I made eye contact with a little girl of about 5. "Do you want to write a story?" I asked. "Yes, please," she replied. She walked over and  sat down at my booth, ready for the instructions that would allow her story to be told. Soon, I had more kids with stories than I could handle.

Some highlighted titles of the day.
"How to make canned soup"
"How to build a building"
"True Blue: A princess story"
"What kids see when they look at big people"
"Happy rainbows"
"I love my family"


No comments: