Monday, April 27, 2009

Jazz fest co-pilot

In order to avoid paying $50 per day to attend Jazz Fest, James and I volunteered. For 2 hours on Saturday and 3 hours on Sunday, I was co-pilot in the musicians shuttle at the fairgrounds. My main responsibility was to yell out of the window to tell the passers-by to move out of the way. Of course, my version was the less intimidating, "Excuse me, sir or ma'am, we have musicians, could you please move so they can make it to the stage?"

I helped to safely transport Harry Shearer and Judith Owen (they were disgusted with the white PT Cruiser mini-van - too many blind spots - and, of course, it is a rental, who would ever buy such a travesty?), Sonny Landreth (he was rather pleased with the performance but concerned about the sound quality), Chubby Carrier and the Bayou Swamp Band (very difficult to round up this group of 7 who were enjoying food back stage hoping to meet Earth, Wind & Fire), multiple Mardis Gras indians, their elaborate costumes,and a souped up baby stroller, and a high school gospel group (two of which were making out in the back of the shuttle during the entire ride, while others vocalized displeasure with the situation).

I saw Etta James, and heard her sing 'At Last,' but she arrived in a limo and didn't need our services. Earth, Wind and Fire were also nearby, but they went from the stage directly to their tour bus to avoid the droves of ladies loitering near the exit.

Next weekend James and I will be assigned as ushers in the gospel tent during Aaron Neville's performance. Can't wait to report on that.

No comments: