Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Jenny (fer)

Jennifer, Kayla & Kendall


As a kid, I believed that my little sister was the best thing since sliced bread. Though my mom birthed her - I thought she was my baby. I spent equal amounts of time doting on her and bossing her around. Through the years, I've grown up - but, somehow in my mind, she has always been 'little.'

During my visit with Jenny(or Jennifer as she is now more commonly known) and her family a couple of weeks ago, I was shocked and amazed to see her as she really is. An adult. Not just any adult either. Kind of a 'super-mom' adult. Running a successful business from her home, heavily involved in her daughter's school - volunteering in the classroom and for the PTA, planning birthday parties and vacations, making sure everyone eats on a somewhat regular schedule and, somehow, still finding time to sit with me and have a real conversation.

This new view of my Jenny has caused much reflection, wonder and pride. But not the kind of pride that I've felt before for her - the kind where I might actually somehow be responsible for her success in life. I can take no credit. Jennifer is her own woman now. I'm just proud to know her.

No comments: