You never know what you might do until actually faced with a situation. For example, I've never imagined myself offering a bribe. I've traveled a lot and haggled and given tips and understood that money sometimes equals better service, but I've never had anyone say to me "What can you do to make it worth my while?" That is, until yesterday when watching my Jeep get strapped to a tow truck to be pulled off to car prison for a parking infraction.
Earlier that day, I drove to work with loads of food for a morning meeting - I was thrilled to find on-street parking less than a block from my office with no scary signs warning me of tickets and towing. I parked, gathered my thing, and buzzed off to the office.
At one point during the day, I looked out from 23rd floor window down at my Jeep and noticed something envelope shaped on my windshield, but chose to ignore it because I couldn't see any problem with my parking situation.
When I exited the Tidewater building at 5:05pm, Mr. Tow-guy was lifting the back of my Jeep off the ground, as I realized the situation I began to run toward him and wave my arms for fear that I wouldn't get to him in time. I arrived just as he was climbing back into his truck to leave. I explained my mistake and pointed out that there was no sign. He didn't care and replied simply "You should know the law." I asked for clarification. "The law that says you can't park within 20 feet of a crosswalk." I asked politely for forgiveness - I explained that I normally bike to work - that I had heavy items in tow - that I was new to the city - that I really, really, really didn't want him to tow my car. Nothing worked. So, I stood there - refusing to leave - at which point he made his request for money.
I was instructed to discretely walk to the cab of his truck and lay $20 on the seat and he would inspect my vehicle while I did so. I pulled out all of the money I had in my wallet, $16, and laid it on the seat. He walked up and looked over my shoulder and shook his head - "You're really making this hard for me - all the paperwork - all the hassle. Go on. Go on home now. Don't do it again."
I scurried off, waited for him to release my vehicle, and quickly drove away. I wonder how others might have handled it. Me, I'm really glad I had money in my wallet and that my car was still there when I walked out, I couldn't imagine visiting a tow lot in New Orleans at night.
Headshots
1 year ago

1 comment:
You have to be magical to get them to let your car go once they've hooked it up and you managed it for some spare change. Girl!
Post a Comment