Students like to play with your name to see what makes you cringe. My co-teacher's name is Adjewseski. She gets a variety of takes on her name. From "A-boogie" to "Angie-ASS-ky". She hates them both and it is obvious. She tries to enforce "Ms. A," but the students like to mess with her.
I felt really proud that you can't really do a lot to the name Barrett. Some say barrette, as in the thing that holds your hair, some say burnette, which doesn't mean much to anyone. My Pre-Calculus teacher in high school used to hand my papers back and say "Grin and barrett." Still not really painful.
Last week, Gregriana, raised her hand and said, "Ms. Borat, I need your help." I paused, hoping no one else heard, looked her straight in the eyes with my most intimidating stare and said, "I answer to Ms. Barrett only." She actually squirmed and repeated my name correctly.
She is pretty feisty though, so after a day of Ms. Barrett, she decided she liked "Ms. B" better. So in our class, our names are "Ms. A" and "Ms. B." I'm okay with that. I definitely don't want to be Ms. Borat.
Headshots
1 year ago

1 comment:
Keep up the good work Heather. Those kids will wake up at some point.
Post a Comment